Saturday 16 October 2010

Heat Losses


U values just the thing for stimulating the old grey matter. I have not worked out any of these since my college days and somehow they seemed rather alien and unnecessary back then. In a strange way I rather enjoyed the exercise and I now have some values for my brother Bob whom I have "commissioned" to work out the hot water and heating requirements for the project. I think he is up to especially as he has done this sort of thing for nearly forty years.
I have decided to insulate the existing ground floor and also the first floor walls and of course the roof space. I am not going to insulate the ground floor walls as these have stone quoins, lintels and cills and would be hidden with insulated board. The two timber windows are the best thing in the property and they look brand new. I can change the glass to double glazed units. So hopefully I think we will end up with quite energy efficient property.

No comments:

Post a Comment